Saturday, January 22, 2011

Red & White Fondant Hantaran Cake for Cik Wanie Zaaba








Wanie of Cheras enquired about my hantaran cake about a week ago. Apparently Wanie is the cousin of Yasmin, who ordered the 2-tier princess birthday cake last week. Wanie sent me a sample picture of the cake she liked, and asked if I could replicate the design in red and white. I was excited bout the cake as soon as I saw the picture. It was a white & beige cake with a big but simple fondant bow on its top, I thought it looked like an elegantly wrapped present. It was a new challenge for me, so I jumped at the opportunity to do my version of the cake.

The cake was an 8" orange butter cake with orange flavoured buttercream, it was then covered and decorated with fondant. I decided to make the fondant base red and the bow white. So as not to make it look to plain, Superbibik helped me to "carve" out the  flower details for the bottom ribbons and painted them with pearl sheen. As for the bow, I made the strips a day earlier so that they could dry and harden properly. These, I painted with stripes of pearl sheen also to make them look like real ribbons.

The moment of truth was on the day of delivery, when the ribbons were assembled, and they fitted perfectly! I finished the cake with royal icing detail which I also painted with pearl sheen and voila, the cake as you see above. Worth every effort making it! I wish Wanie a very happy married life and may Allah bless you with many children as beautiful as you are!

No comments: