Saturday, June 25, 2011

Fairy Garden Fondant Birthday Cake for Niece Lana

This is a custom fondant cake with figurine. 8" round red velvet with creamcheese filling, buttercream frosting and covered with fondant. The figurines and flowers were made of gumpaste. My custom fondant cake price starts from RM150, depending on the type of cake, the size and design. My retail price for this cake is RM250, price does not include cuppies.
This was my first ever fairy themed cake with actual fairy figurine. For inspiration, my daughter Nurin loaned me her pop-up fairy storybook from her book collection. Praise to Allah for Nurin's thoughtfulness.

Lana the Diva just turned 6 last week. For her birthday SHE ordered a fairy cake. I emphasize here the SHE, herself ordered it without her parents knowledge. She one day whispered to my ears that she would like her cake to be this and that. Fickle-minded-ness is one of Lana's "special" quality, first she wanted a mermaid cake with an underwater castle et cetera, at the last minute she changed her mind and told Maklong (that's me) that she wanted a fairy cake. Luckily I planned only to start making the mermaid figurine the next day. Or she would've had a mermaid sitting in the middle of the fairy garden. Takpek nolong eh!
The whole process took 3 days, til the final showdown. I work during the day, and bake part time in the evenings. So I "weaved" in between baking and decorating cakes (other customers' orders) during those 3 days, with gumpaste figurine making, the flowers and the bugs and finally baking the cake, frosting and assembling.
Making a gumpaste fairy I tell you, is not an easy feat. It took me 2 whole hours just to do the fairy alone! That must be the first to be done so it could harden properly before being assembled on the cake. Next came the flowers, I made them in a variety of shapes and matching colours. Bibik helped with the leaves and little filler flowers.
Finally on the day of the party I baked the RV cake (or rather brown velvet, I omitted the red colouring as my family gerun tengok the cake's crimson shade), covered it with pink fondant and began the fun part, assembly! I also made 16 black forest cuppies to be arranged around the main cake. With Bibik's help, I completed the cake and arrived at the party right before the maternal grandparents' arrival. The rest of the clan had already began feasting. Found the birthday girl counting her presents, teased her that I made a Thomas cake instead of Fairy cake, which brought her close to tears (kikiki... I just love to tease my anak-anak sedara, Lana is the most fun to tease as she's such a joyah @ smartmouth)! You can almost feel the relief she must've felt when she finally saw the cake! LoLs! All in all, I am extremely happy with the final result. It was not only Lana's dream which came true that day, it had been my wish too as a cake decorator, to make a fairy cake in fondant. I'm truly happy that it turned out more than I expected, definitely worth all the effort!

No comments: