Monday, July 23, 2012

Winx Inspired Novelty Birthday Cake ordered by Pn Siti Hasnah of Shah Alam

My last decorative cake order, before Hari Raya Aidilfitri. I am stopping for a while so I can concentrate on making Hari Raya Choc Chip cookies and Kek Buah Kukus. To my patrons, not to worry, I'll be back doing decorative cakes again one week after raya. In fact I am foreseeing a very busy end of year, as half of my slots in Nov and Dec have been booked for the wedding season. I sincerely hope to be able to accommodate all of you, but there are only so much orders that I can take, so start booking your dates now ya!
 
Siti is a returning customer who ordered a Princess Carriage cake for her daughter's birthday last year. This year I had the pleasure to do Aina's birthday cake again. I was glad to be told by Aina's dad that she and her kindy friends had enjoyed the carriage cake so much that they (Siti and hubby) decided to order from GG Home Biz again this year.
 The theme chosen for Aina's cake this year is "Winx Fairy". This is quite a challenge for me, as for me fairy figurines are more daunting than superhero ones. Nevertheless, with some ideas provided by Siti, I gave my best to make the figurine as fairy-like as possible. Of course, without the fairy face mould I could never achieve the exact look of a Winx girl. Think I've gotta surf for fairy mould suppliers-lah sooner or later... An order for fairies does not come by often, and these moulds can be quite expensive. In fact this had only been the 3rd "fairy themed" cake I've made so far. So when an order like this comes, I can only promise to make them look as fairy-like as possible, if not exactly.
 A customer like Siti is very easy to work with, other than sending pictures as reference, the rest were really up to me. It's always exciting when a customer believes in you and gives you the freedom to be creative.
 Siti ordered a rainbow cake as the base, baked it early this morning right after sahur. Started working with the fondant at noon and finished exactly at 5pm. The figurine had been made 2 days earlier. Learning from past experiences, always give ample time for cake orders with figurines. Even then, I had to engage the help of superbibik and sis Elin so that I can finish before the promised pickup time.
 Siti came with her husband and cute little Aina who got all excited after she saw the cake. I understand that the cake is for Aina's birthday celebration at school tomorrow. I truly hope that Aina will have an unforgettable 5th birthday celebration. It was lovely to meet this young family (didn't get to meet Siti last year, for some reason), I do hope that Siti will continue to patronize GG Home Biz, as it's been pleasure baking for her. :)
A message received from Siti the next day which made my Monday blues dissapear: "The cake was marvelous. My daughter and her friends loved it very much. Tq!".  :)

No comments: