Sunday, July 8, 2012

Transformers (Edible Image) Rainbow Cake with Italian Buttercream ordered by Pn Shida Razak of Taman Sri Gombak

I generally dislike buttercream cakes. But this cake is an exception. Rainbow Cake has a rich, dense and buttery texture that makes it potently addictive, well, for me-lah. :) And its Italian Buttercream is just the perfect match. Rich, fragrant and less sweet. The combination is a match made in heaven!
A childhood friend, Shida ordered this rainbow cake for her son's birthday. She initially requested the cake for Saturday, but I've already commited to Dila to do Canisha's butterfly fairy cake. So the date of pickup was shifted to Sunday. Saturday was quite a busy day at my house, as my front neighbour Pakcik Osman was having majlis cukur jambul for his granddaughter and he had tents set up connected to our house, and I've another set of order for steamed caramel and bread butter puddings that same evening.
I started baking the 6 layer cakes late Saturday night. Started working on the buttercream the next morning. Shida came around in the afternoon to pickup the cake, she came with her mom to my delight.

Cik Zah was my babysitter during my primary years in the mid 80's. Her late husband Pakcik Razak was a kind, gentle man. I had many happy memories growing up under their care. I remember that my sister Ain and I used to sleepover at her house on pasar malam nights, learned how to ride the bicycle without trainer wheels from Shida's younger brother Najib (the funny thing was, at the time Najib didn't even know how to ride a bike! He used to hold our bikes so we could have balance before letting go with a push and plenty of cheering, so cute...), from Cik Zah's children we learned to eat maggi laksa mixed with a bit of rice, but what I remember most is Cik Zah's ikan masak kicap and kuih samprit, and how she'll make them often as she knew how much I enjoy them. Now that I think of it, I do miss our younger days "transitting" at the police barracks... Ahhh... The good old days...
Back to the cake, Shida told me that Iwan loved his Transformer's themed cake so much that he kept guard beside it. Whenever his mom cuts it, he will remind her not to cut the face of Bumble Bee. He's so cute! It was a coincidence too that I chose Bumble Bee image for this cake. Apparently this was his favourite Autobot. Happy Birthday little Iwan! Enjoy your wonder years while you can (hehe...). May Allah bless you always!

No comments: