Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Hantaran Bertunang Cake for Wahidatunnisa







Wahid was an old schoolmate and hostel-mate from my Seremban days. She messaged me about 3 weeks ago to order a hantaran tunang cake for her sister. Initially the colour theme was green and white, then one week ago Wahid called to inform that the colour theme had changed to pink and cream. Fortunately I haven't started with the roses as I was still thinking of a design for the cake. 

I started with the project on Hari Wilayah holiday, baked the 8" vanilla butter cake in the morning. While it cooled, I started with the pink flowers, leaves and white fillers. I decided to make 8 medium sized roses for a small bouquet to be arranged on top of the cake. I left them to dry for a few hours. Later in the evening, I started with covering the cake with cream coloured fondant. While arranging the pink roses I realised that I didn't have enough flowers to fill out the bouquet, so anxiously I made more roses (at the same time hoping that they would quickly harden). I had to work the next day and did not intend to stay up all night to do the cake.

I thought it would be nice to add more colours to the bouquet too, not contrasting ones, just a bit of pastel yellow and cream hues. First I made 5 yellowish cream roses, and guess what, they were still not enough. At the last minute I made 3 more light cream flowers. In all, I made 16 roses for this cake, and in record time (one and half hours for the 2nd batch)! I had wanted to make a simple bouquet but it ended up to be quite an elaborate one because I made the roses too small. Makcik dropped by as I was finishing up. She suggested that I add a bit of detail at the foot of the cake. She loved the royal icing dots that I did on a previous fondant cake, hence the dainty polka dot border. Thanks for the great suggestion Makcik! The cake was finally finished at 11pm.

For all the exasperation, I was very pleased with the end result. It was all trial and error, which I will definitely take note for future projects. I learn new things every time I make a new design, the challenges made cake decorating all the more exciting for me. Wahid, thanks ya for believing in me. Great to see you again!

2 comments:

Azu STTJ said...

Dear KLong

Tak berminat untuk buka kelas buat kek? Saya berminat nak join..lebih2 lagi ngan orng yang kita kenal...memang minat nak belajar buat kek. Nanti dah dok jauh2 boleh buat sendiri..nak beli kat kedai konperm tak halal bila kat sana.

Azu

GG (Ezuin Zainuddin) said...

So far baru buat class for kanak2 during school hols. Yang dewasa belum lagi. Kalau on to one tu boleh, Kak Long belum cukup facility untuk buat bigger class that's why. Anytime you're coming up to KL, let me know ahead of time, maybe we can arrange a class for you.