Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Birthday Cake with Custom Edible for Baiti






I received  a call from Baiti of Cheras approximately a week ago to order a chocolate birthday cake for her younger siblings. She wanted to surprise them with a special cake with a picture of them on top. I asked Baiti to email me a pict of them so I could edit and forward to the printer. Received the picture but it was a bit too small, I enlarged it as far as I could (I need at least 500kb for cake sized edible image), added the texts and quickly forwarded it to be printed.

It was raining all day on Sunday (which was really weird because it's supposed to be dry and windy around CNY season) when I made the cake. I baked a 9" Devil's Food cake (I love this cake!), frosted it with buttercream and placed the image on top. I chose to use white buttercream so the picture would be the focal point of the cake. I thought if I add too much colours, the cake would look a little "semak" (crowded) because of the strong background colour of the image. Doing the buttercream decoration was the most fun part, did the basketweave on the sides, trimmed it with shellwork edging, and the rope on top.

Baiti dropped by in the afternoon (it was raining cats and dogs!) after her class in Shah Alam to collect the cake. As it turned out, Baiti was my sis Elin's ex-BBGS school mate. I'm glad Baiti loved the cake, so were her siblings, I had a good time making it too, on that cold rainy Sunday.

No comments: