Sunday, March 25, 2012

Ironman Birthday Cake for Mrs Wong of PJ

I loooooove the outcome of this cake! This is my first time doing such background setting on a cake. But the creme de la creme of course is the Ironman figurine. Ahhh...I have to say that I am very proud of this "little" fella. He's only 11cm tall, but it took me 7 whole hours to "sculpt" gumpaste and turn it into IRONMAN.


When I started the project, little did I know that it would take me that long to finish. I expected it to take appoximately 3-4 hours only. Fortunately it was Saturday, and the weather had been nice and warm, just nice for figurine making. I hate playing with gumpaste on a humid day, it would take longer to dry and the limbs could just drop off anytime! So I took my own sweet time to finish it, at the same time enjoying some "me" time alone in the kitchen with the fan blowing and mugs of ice water always on standby. My sister came over that day, she said, she ate, she slept and woke, I was still in the kitchen doing it. Haha! When you're doing something that you enjoy, you don't even realize how fast the time flies.


This was Chai Ping's 2nd order from GG Home Biz. She last ordered in October a Thomas 3D cake for her younger son Wei Wen. This time round, was for her elder son Eu-Wen who had turned 9. The young man chose Ironman to be the theme of his birthday cake.


I had been pretty nervous about the whole project, usually I'll have my children's toys as reference when I do figurines. Since I couldn't find a single Ironman toy in any of Imran's toy chest, I was down to my last option - to google and print Ironman's images from all angles.


With the figurine done, I frosted the 11" (L size) choc moist cake the next morning. Had so much fun playing with colours, fashioned the cake to look like earth with a strip of fire going across it. I placed Ironman in the middle of the strip as if he's ready to take off to fight the baddies.

I finished the cake by 11.30am, had promised to meet Chai Ping in Bangsar at 12.30pm. Armed with my Garmin GPS (I'm not very familiar with Bangsar area, you see), with bibik holding the cake box, shoo-ed the kids into the car and off we went! Chai Ping came soon after we arrived, had a little chat with her. She's really friendly and pleasant to talk to. I do hope that Eu-Wen had a great birthday celebration. I received a text from Chai Ping later that evening which said,"Hi GG! Quick update: the mothers were amazed at how intricate the Ironman figurine was! Your choc moist always lovely & the buttercream smelled sooooo good. Thanks!". I was giddy with happiness for a couple days after, still am! 

It had been a good and productive weekend for me. I felt that my efforts were well paid off, as both my customers that weekend were appreciative of my works. Thank you Chai Ping for the order, it was really nice to see you. Til we meet again!

No comments: