Sunday, September 18, 2011

Ocean Breeze Blue & White Hantaran Bertunang Cake for Pn Morni of Wangsa Maju

Ahhh... This cake was such a joy to make. Everything went smoothly, from baking the cake, to frosting and covering it with fondant. Baked the 8" choc moist cake the evening before, since it's the weekend and I had all the time in the world, got up at 3am to deco the cake to meet Acik Morni's promised dateline at 8am that morning. Could've done it earlier (Saturday), but I was exhausted from Friday's open house in Serendah, and rushing home to finish 2 birthday cakes back to back for Saturday noon pickup. So I took my own sweet time to do this cake.

Loved the stillness of the wee hours. Inspiration quickly came. I've done royal icing embroidery designs once before on sister Elin's hantaran nikah cake. Thought it would look nice on this cake, saw some romantic embroidery designs in one of my cake decorating books. Acik Morni wasn't fussy about the design, as long as it's blue and white. I used storebought flowers for this cake. Looking at the rainy weather lately, handmade flowers would've been problematic as they easily break in humid condition.
I used my latest favourite tool, the serrated crimper at the edge of the base, and added more detail with little embossed bouquets on the base surrounding the cake. I piped royal icing shells around the base of the cake before drawing the embroidery designs freehand. After arranging and fastening the gumpaste flowers on the cake, I pasted the cut-out names. Finished this cake way early than expected, Acik Morni arrived right on time to collect it. I was very pleased with myself, loved the cake (still patting own head as I'm typing this, for a job well done... hehehe...). Loved the fact that it's Sunday and I can sleep as long as I want after doing this cake. What a joy! :)))

No comments: