Monday, February 6, 2012

Steamed Caramel Puddings for Yong of Wangsa Maju


These have been my favourite puddings for as long as I can remember. When I was smaller, my aunt Mak Ndak used to be the sifu of caramel pudding in our family. She makes the baked (bain marie) version in large ovenproof dishes, which were very fragrant and firm after being kept overnight in the fridge, and finally served turned upside down on a platter and decorated with canned peaches or fruits. I remember she once made this pudding in a fish mould for my youngest uncle's hantaran nikah. It was lovely indeed, I'd never seen anyone made this pudding in a patterned mould before.


My first experience with caramel pudding was a disaster. Haha! I cooked it bain marie, the traditional way, but wasn't sure how to check if it's cooked or not. I was a teenager of 14 - 15 years then. As with cakes, I waited for it to firm up, and of course it didn't because of the caramel syrup at the bottom. I waited and waited way past the required baking time, but it was still wobbly. In the end I nervously took it out and found the top layer had gotten tough as leather! My parents, being parents, tasted it with lots of comments on the side. It didn't deter me, I tried again and again until I finally got the mojo. Apparently, for each mix you will only have to bake for a specified amount of time, depending on how thick the container is.

As the old Malay saying goes, menuntut ilmu biar sampai ke negeri China. I am always on the lookout for tips and tricks to improve my culinary skills. One fine day I met this fine lady, who was my ex senior's (from ITM) best friend at an entrepreneurship course which we both attended. We clicked as soon as we met. She was the one who introduced me to the steamed method, telling me that she makes the puddings in small containers and sells them in her office, they're always a hit with her colleagues. Since then I have never turned back. I've sold thousands of pieces for as far as I can remember. For weddings, kenduris, open houses, parties and even for my office's family day sale.

Yong is my SIL's cousin. She has an event organizing company and sometimes orders from GG Home Biz for her events. This time round it's 100 pcs of caramel puddings. Made them with bibik last night, on my once double but now single stove ( gosh, I really need to go shop for a new one!). Finished making them in almost 3 hours.


I'm selling these silky puddings at RM1 per 4oz container, with minimum order of 20 pcs. Don't forget, please sms or call me to order. Don't order on this blog as I am not able to check it as often as I'd like to.

Ahhh... Parental duty a-calling, as I was typing this my little ones just kept on coming with their chatterings and bickerings. Those two just couldn't see eye to eye! Well, couldn't blame them, I went through the same phase myself when I was younger. I thought my younger siblings were such pests, but now we're older and wiser, we'd stand by each other no matter what comes. So my friends, with this I take my bow, til we meet again, have a pleasant holiday to all!

No comments: