Saturday, February 18, 2012

Nephew Farhan's Calla Lily 2-Tier Wedding Reception Cake

My SIL called to order this wedding cake one month prior to the reception date. When I asked how she would want the cake to be, Yong (my SIL) told me that she would like a 2-tier square cake decorated with lilies in white and hints of champagne. The top tier would be carrot cake, and the bottom choc moist.

Since this was a big project for me to do alone, I asked if my sis Elin (proprietress to Elin Homebake) to help. The calla lilies were storebought, due to the unpredictable weather, wouldn't want the lilies to wilt before the big event. The filler flowers however were handmade by our "flower apprentice", my aunt Makcik (Siti Norbaya Manaf) and Superbibik.


Baked 3 layers of 12" choc moist and 3 layers of 8" carrot cakes for the project, decided to bake 3 layers for each tier because I wanted the cake to be tall enough eventhough it was only a 2-tier cake. Thought it would look proportionate to the happy couple too, for photography during the cake cutting ceremony. I decided to do a stacked tier cake instead of using pillars. We used light cream fondant to cover both the cakes, trimmed them with white royal icing. To add some texture, we decided to pipe dots around the sides of the cakes. Finally, the flowers were arranged and as the finishing touch, we added a champagne coloured sheer organza ribbon and fashioned it to cascade softly down the cake.

All in all we estimated the cake to weigh a whopping 13kg. We had to get my husband Sham's help to move the cake about for photography and transporting.


I was glad that Yong was happy when she saw the cake the next day. Although it took long hours to finish the cake, I enjoyed doing it in the company of my sister and Makcik. Due to my "delicate" condition, Elin stepped in and did most of the hardwork such as rolling out the fondant. We finally  finished at almost 4am. Had a nice warm shower and practically crawled into bed (think of Ju-On, the Japanese horror movie. Haha!). I slept ever so soundly that night knowing that we made a good cake for Yong.

No comments: